Hoodie Allen is Cooler Than You
Look, I used to hate hip hop. I was a staunch supporter of “rock music,” that genre with guitars and screaming. You see, when I was young, I remember thinking that all hip hop sounded the same. My, how the times have changed. Hoodie Allen is just one rapper I have grown to think is awesome. There’s also Childish Gambino, Macklemore, and Lupe Fiasco. And a slew of others, all the while rock music has faded into the background. It’s no longer the rebellion it used to be. It’s acoustic guitars and romantic metaphors. Gross.
So why is this skinny white dude talking about hip hop?
Because over the past ten years, I’ve learned something about hip hop: It’s oftentimes superior to every other genre of music. It’s experimental, fun, and is usually laced with some sort of message. If that message is one of greed and sex, it differs little from its rock counterparts. Now, I’ m an equal-opportunity music consumer. I like country, rock, pop, and rap. I like it all.
But check this dude out:
Reasons Hoodie Allen is Cooler Than You:
- He used to work at Google, and only left when his career started to take off.
- He’s 5’9″, Jewish, and white. That’s a ballsy combo.
- He references Comedy Central’s Workaholics.
- His YouTube page is a normal freaking YouTube page, not that VEVO garbage.
- He doesn’t know who you are, either.
- He makes a KKK joke in a song.
- He released a video for said song:
Now, if only Hoodie would collaborate with another guy who is cooler than I’ll ever be:
So question time: Who is your favorite hip hop artist? EVER.