Sometimes, decisions taken due to the ongoing circumstances can later lead to repentance. Things can complicate when certain decisions do not leave any option of rectifying them. Tubal ligation is one such example. A significant percentage of women undergo the said procedure, and later on, become desperate to expand their families.
Thankfully, with Tubal Reversal, such a woman can now find a new ray of hope. However, not many of us have knowledge of the tubal reversal procedure. Read on, as we make an attempt to cover all the points related to it.
Tubal ligation- A brief insight
Tubal ligation is a process with which the doctor ties the fallopian tubes. As you can understand, it is one of the prominent forms of contraception. By tying the fallopian tube, the sperm cannot meet the egg, thus the chances of pregnancy never arise.
Factors to consider for tubal reversal
Yes, the tubal reversal has the potential of untying the tubes. However, it is imperative to diagnose the type of tubal ligation for increasing the chances of success. For the unversed, performing a tubal ligation can vary. Some of the commonly used methods are postpartum tubal ligation, falope rings, fulguration, and fimbriectomy. Not all tubal ligation methods are reversible.
The age of the woman is another factor of importance. Generally, a woman older than 40 will not have a good chance of becoming pregnant even after her tubes is untied. They would most probably require the services of an egg donor.
Tubal reversal-what to expect
Once the surgeon confirms the candidature of a woman for tubal reversal, she can be optimistic as the surgery isn’t a time-consuming one. Usually, the doctor performs a small incision and operates. Within a week the woman can resume her normal activities. After the successful completion of the tubal reversal surgery, the couple can start family planning after the next menstrual cycle.
The chances of getting pregnant after tubal reversal
While, it is good to be optimistic, but that does not mean, a woman is destined to conceive after undergoing tubal reversal surgery. Here are the points that a surgeon would evaluate:
- The type of sterilization decides the success rate of tubal reversal. If during sterilization the surgeon used filshie clips or rings then the healthiest part of the tubes are left. In case the tubes were clipped or shortened the tubal reversal success may get affected.
- The general and reproductive health of the woman is also a major factor. Women who have endometriosis, intrauterine fibroids, or low egg count will not be able to undergo this surgery.
- The sperm count of the woman’s partner also has a role. The doctor will have to analyze the fertility of both partners before considering tubal reversal.
- The doctor will also clearly state about the risks associated with tubal reversal surgery.
- That tubal reversal surgery has an 80% success rate compared to IVF. Thus the doctor will also let you know about this.
The cost of tubal reversal
Tubal Reversal Surgery costs can vary. The factors the surgeon needs to assess before performing the procedure can contribute to the cost. If you had your tubes tied and now thinking to go for a reversal then you should be prepared as this won’t be cheap. Generally, tubal reversal surgery can cost you anywhere from $6000 to $7000. Some specialized clinics and surgeons are known to charge even higher.
Basically, you should know about the specific charges that contribute to inflating the overall cost of tubal reversal surgery. Let us look at them one by one:
- Initially, you will need to consult the tubal reversal surgeon. The surgeon can charge you anywhere from $50 to $300. By this, the surgeon ensures you are serious about the surgery.
- The other associated charges would include various types of lab tests. Insurance companies generally do not cover the expenses of tubal reversal surgery since this falls under the category of elective surgery.
- Prior to the surgeries, the surgeon may provide you with a number of services. Keep in mind the tubal reversal surgeries are generally performed in private clinics and rarely in hospitals.
- You need to make sure the costs of the anesthesiologist and other staff needed for surgery are included in the fees else their charges also need to be borne.
- Costs can increase many times if the tubal reversal surgery procedure needs to be carried out at a different location preferably in another country the costs of medical tourism would also add up.
Tips for determining the best tubal reversal doctor and clinic
The experience and skill of a tubal reversal surgeon can make all the difference in the outcome. Moreover, unless you feel confident about the workability of the surgeon, you won’t be comfortable. Therefore, check the records, and verify, the number of successful tubal reversal surgeries the doctor has performed so far.
Similarly, verify, whether the clinic you prefer has the necessary accreditations. Furthermore, as the medical bills can pile up, the clinic should reveal all the costs associated with the surgery. Presently, some of the tubal reversal surgeons and clinics offer EMI options. Understandably, it can help the cause of many couples who are desperate to conceive after reversing tubal ligation but cannot approach owing to the costs.