We all know that accidents happen. And they can happen anywhere, especially on public property. If you have suffered from a slip and fall on public property, make sure you know what to do when filing a claim.

First things first, talk with a slip and fall accident lawyer in Philadelphia to know all of your options.

What is Considered a Slip and Fall?

Public entities hold the responsibility to maintain a safe property and prevent accidents, such as slip and falls. A slip and fall can happen due to torn carpet, uneven flooring, inadequate lighting such as unlit stairs, debris in the walkway, or slippery floors.

Injuries that Can Happen from a Slip and Fall

Minor to severe injuries can happen from a slip and fall. Common injuries include sprains or strains to muscles, tendons and ligaments, broken bones, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, cuts, and abrasions.

After experiencing a slip and fall, you should always receive medical attention right away to confirm all of your injuries.

Filing a Claim

If neglect is found to maintain a safe property on public property such as at a park, government building, school, or a private business, then you could have a claim on your hands.

A property owner is responsible for any damages when someone else is injured on the property through premise liability. A valid slip and fall is when an injury is sustained in an incident where there was neglect. An injured party can then seek to collect damages.

Every public property must hold regular inspections and take care of issues right away. This is their duty of care. A breach of duty of care is when a property fails to maintain the property safely. This can raise issues when the cause of the slip and fall injury was directly related to poor maintenance on the property.

The injured party is able to file a claim to receive damages for medical treatment, lost wages, and emotional distress.

If you have been a victim of a slip and fall accident on private property, make sure to provide detailed information of the accident and proof you received medical care when filing a claim.